Illumination of the Imagine Peace Tower
The Imagine Peace Tower in Viðey Island will be illuminated for the 17th time in a beautiful ceremony on Sunday, 9 October, at 20:00. The programme starts at 17:45 and lasts until 21:00./*php $markup = $content['field_mynd_stor']['#markup']; $markup = str_replace('typeof="foaf:Image"', 'typeof="foaf:Image" class="lightbox"', $markup); $content['field_mynd_stor']['#markup'] = $markup; */?>
Ferry ride and City Bus
Yoko Ono invites everyone to sail free of charge to Viðey Island for the ceremony of the Illumination of IMAGINE PEACE TOWER with the Viðey Island Ferry.
- 17:30 - 19:00 The City Bus runs from the Hlemmur bus terminal to Skarfabakki Pier every 30 minutes. The City Bus is not free of charge.
- 17:30 - 19:30 The ferry sails from Skarfabakki Pier to Viðey Island.
- 20:30 After the ceremony, the ferry sails from Viðey Island to Skarfabakki Pier until the island has been evacuated. The City Bus will run to the Hlemmur bus terminal from Skarfabakki Pier until 22:00.
For people who come early:
- 17:45 Guided tours on the history of Viðey and the works of Richard Serra and Yoko Ono.
- 18:00 History walk
- 18:45 Guided tours on the history of Viðey and the works of Richard Serra and Yoko Ono.
- 19:00 History walk
Refreshments can be bought in Viðeyjarnaust and Viðeyjarstofa.
ATTENTION – WE ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO DRESS ACCORDING TO THE WEATHER.
Programme at the Imagine Peace Tower
- 19:40 Emilíana Torrini and friends perform
- 19:56 Speeches by Dagur Eggertson, the Major of Reykjavík, and Ms Amina J. Mohammad, Deputy Secretary General of the United Nations
- 20:00 Illumination of the Imagine Peace Tower
IMAGINE PEACE TOWER
IMAGINE PEACE TOWER is an outdoor work of art conceived by Yoko Ono, located at Viðey Island, honouring the memory of her late husband, John Lennon. Each year, on his birthday, IMAGINE PEACE TOWER is re-lit in a ceremony and beams with a stream of lights high into the sky until it is turned off on the day he died, 8 December. The art piece is a symbol for John and Yoko’s fight for peace. IMAGINE PEACE TOWER has the shape of a wishing well where the words “Imagine Peace” are written in 24 languages all around the art piece and refer to the song “Imagine” by John Lennon.